Saturday, July 5, 2008

Writing Requirements

In class we discussed why the university requires us to take English courses, especially those who have majors that require them to write all the time. Personally, I think that English classes are more useful than some of the GE classes that I have taken. I tried to enroll in UWP 101 during spring quarter but after attending class for four days the professor said that she was going to drop me. Reason: You can’t be in this class because you’re not upperclassmen standing. So with no choice I was forced to go look for another class. By that time there were a limited number of classes available because it was already a week into the quarter. After searching on the open course list for about an hour, I finally found a class that could fit into my schedule. Unfortunately the class was GEL 36, which is about the solar system. Even though, the class was interesting it was honestly a waste of my time. It was pure memorization and I walked away with more information that I ever needed to know about Neptune. It also didn’t help me with my biochemistry major.

We all have to take classes that we don’t feel will help us further in our major. I think that the University requires us to take these courses so we get a chance to learn about different topics outside our majors. With a science major, I don’t mind taking English. It is a nice change from dealing with pure science and hard facts. In English classes, your take on a topic is different from the person sitting next to you. I like the subjectivity and ambiguity. Also, these English courses will be a good way to brush up on writing and just practice writing. In my science classes the only hardcore writing that I have had to do in these past two years is answering questions and completing two page lab reports. The comments that I receive from my peers will help me when it comes time to writing my resume and personal statements for graduate school. I have to be able to write clearly and express myself when I am not able to talk.

1 comment:

Christopher Schaberg said...

Okay, so update your posts more regularly so that you can get feedback from your classmates. Here's to "subjectivity and ambiguity"!